Across the country, elected officials are proposing that government employers mandate that municipal, county, and state employees receive COVID-19 vaccinations or face termination—thereby making the vaccine an essential job requirement. Others, while not requiring vaccinations, are considering mandates requiring unvaccinated employees to submit to regular COVID-19 tests and/or meet heightened mask standards while on the job.
These proposals have been met with numerous objections—particularly from first responders. Beyond the political arguments, there are legal issues to be addressed. These proposed mandates appear unprecedented in nature and seem likely to pose significant legal questions for policymakers, union representatives, and individual first responders.
In this two hour webinar, Attorney Matt Dolan will discuss:
- Clearly defining the government interest in vaccinations
- Government employers’ ability to supplement essential job requirements for existing employees
- The evolving definition of “fully vaccinated” employees in light of COVID-19 variants and “booster” vaccinations
- Government interest in retaining a healthy workforce in light of physical fitness, drug and alcohol consumption, and other risk factors
- Employee privacy interests under HIPPA and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Practical implications for recruiting and retention in 2021
- Possible disparate racial impacts of vaccine mandates and their legal ramifications
- Medical and religious exemptions
Matt Dolan is a licensed attorney in the State of Illinois, who specializes in training and advising public safety agencies in matters of labor and employment law. His practice experience focuses on employment discrimination claims brought under federal law, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 ("Title VII"), the Americans with Disabilities Act ("ADA"), and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act ("ADEA"). He received his Bachelor's Degree in Political Science from DePaul University and his J.D. from Loyola University Chicago School of Law.
Matt serves as a public safety instructor with Dolan Consulting Group. He has trained and advised thousands of public safety professionals throughout the United States in matters of legal liability related to personnel management.