The process of recruiting, vetting and hiring qualified applicants represents one of the greatest challenges confronting law enforcement. Agencies are looking to new recruiting strategies well beyond putting out the "help wanted" sign. This is particularly true as agencies recruit men and women of the millennial generation.
This course will introduce attendees to a variety of innovative recruiting strategies being implemented throughout the country to meet the challenges of recruiting, particularly recruiting with an emphasis on diversifying the ranks. Attendees will also learn about ways to navigate the hiring process while minimizing legal liability risks along the way - from recruiting to hiring interviews to background investigations to the probationary process.
- Who is your designated recruiter?
- "Confirmation Bias" and "Growth Mindset" in the recruiting process.
- When is the last time that the agency examined its screening protocol?
- Strategic planning in recruiting.
- Diversifying and expanding the applicant pool.
- Identifying barriers to effective recruiting, hiring and background investigations.
- Exploring innovative recruiting strategies being implemented by law enforcement agencies across the country.
- Understanding the long-term consequences of failing to invest in the hiring process.
- Who is our background investigator and do we have a plan?
- Creating agency policies to minimize liability in the hiring process.
Matt Dolan is a licensed attorney in the State of Illinois, who specializes in training and advising public safety agencies in matters of labor and employment law. His practice experience focuses on employment discrimination claims brought under federal law, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 ("Title VII"), the Americans with Disabilities Act ("ADA"), and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act ("ADEA"). He received his Bachelor's Degree in Political Science from DePaul University and his J.D. from Loyola University Chicago School of Law.
Matt serves as a public safety instructor with Dolan Consulting Group. He has trained and advised thousands of public safety professionals throughout the United States in matters of legal liability related to personnel management.