The process of recruiting, vetting and hiring qualified applicants represents one of the greatest challenges confronting law enforcement. Agencies are looking to new recruiting strategies well beyond putting out the “help wanted” sign. This is particularly true as agencies recruit men and women of the millennial generation.
This course will introduce attendees to a variety of innovative recruiting strategies being implemented throughout the country to meet the challenges of recruiting, particularly recruiting with an emphasis on diversifying the ranks. Attendees will also learn about ways to navigate the hiring process while minimizing legal liability risks along the way—from recruiting to hiring interviews, from background investigations to the probationary process.
- Effective strategies for recruiting a diverse pool of qualified candidates—what’s working?
- Strategies for increasing representation from within your community.
- How diverse is your eligible hiring pool and are your recruiting efforts falling short of representing that diversity?
- Documenting your day-to-day recruiting efforts and hiring practices to:
- Verify internally that you are engaging in a good faith effort to create a department that reflects the community you serve, and
- Defend your agency against claims of willful discrimination or deliberate indifference if those claims are unfounded.
- Long-term strategies for increasing diversity in your agency and in your profession.
Matt Dolan is a licensed attorney in the State of Illinois, who specializes in training and advising public safety agencies in matters of labor and employment law. His practice experience focuses on employment discrimination claims brought under federal law, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 ("Title VII"), the Americans with Disabilities Act ("ADA"), and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act ("ADEA"). He received his Bachelor's Degree in Political Science from DePaul University and his J.D. from Loyola University Chicago School of Law.
Matt serves as a public safety instructor with Dolan Consulting Group. He has trained and advised thousands of public safety professionals throughout the United States in matters of legal liability related to personnel management.