Verbal De-escalation training provides public safety professionals with time-tested communication skills proven to help de-escalate volatile situations, safeguard fellow officers’ emotional and professional well-being, and significantly enhance the agency’s professional image. The course also provides opportunities for the participants to participate in practical skill building so that when they complete the two-day training they are well on their way to becoming more effective professionals in communication.
- Improve public safety professionals’ verbal communication skills.
- How to apply Rhetoric- Aristotle’s Art of Persuasion (The art of using speech to persuade) when deflecting & redirecting verbal abuse.
- Develop an understanding of Chief Dolan’s “Guardians of the Peace” concept, “Language of the Street Fallacy,” and “TUI Pattern” (texting, typing or talking under the influence).
- Defuse potentially volatile verbal encounters.
- Avoid the “Rope-A-Dope Syndrome.”
- Understand the importance of managing “Hyper vigilance.”
- Raise organizational morale and grasp the concept of “Police Legitimacy.”
- Manage your verbal triggers & sidestep the “Niagara Falls Walk.”
- Significantly enhance the agency’s image throughout the community.
- Practice “Verbal Contact & Cover” principles.
- Apply the FAA’s “Sterile Cockpit Rule” on duty.
- Understand the importance of “Chief Dolan’s 24-Hour Rule” as a key component of communication success.
Matt Dolan is a licensed attorney in the State of Illinois, who specializes in training and advising public safety agencies in matters of labor and employment law. His practice experience focuses on employment discrimination claims brought under federal law, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 ("Title VII"), the Americans with Disabilities Act ("ADA"), and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act ("ADEA"). He received his Bachelor's Degree in Political Science from DePaul University and his J.D. from Loyola University Chicago School of Law.
Matt serves as a public safety instructor with Dolan Consulting Group. He has trained and advised thousands of public safety professionals throughout the United States in matters of legal liability related to personnel management.